With travel finally picking up again and millions of people planning their holiday getaways, it’s a great time to explore the world once more.
As a practitioner in the field, I would like to humbly share my observations on current travel trends for the Asia traveler market and I would appreciate any feedback and thoughts you may have. Based on my research and analysis of available public resources, I have noted several popular travel destinations and activities.
These destinations, listed in no particular order, are expected to be in high demand during 2023.
Top 11 Destinations to Visit In the World
- Bali, Indonesia
- Santorini, Greece
- Tokyo, Japan
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Hawaii, USA
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Paris, France
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Cancun, Mexico
Now let’s dive deeper into some of the cities on the list,
First of all, Paris, France never ceases to amaze me. From its world-renowned dining to its baroque architecture, every corner of the city is steeped in art and history. From the timeless Louvre Museum to the stylish Louis Vuitton flagship store, Paris offers a perpetual holiday for culture, cuisine, and shopping. Each experience is a new discovery, always leaving me wanting more.
For luxury hotels in Paris, consider Le Cheval Blanc, Hôtel Lutetia, and Hôtel de Crillon is considered one of the most iconic and prestigious hotels in the city. And The Ritz Paris is a fashionable luxury hotel located in Place Vendôme. Coco Chanel lived in Room 302 for 34 years and the hotel has honored her with the Suite Coco Chanel and the Chanel SPA.
Maldives: With its clear turquoise waters and pristine beaches, who can resist of it? Even during the pandemic, I’ve received a few of bespoke travel inquiries about it. Travel to Maldives you can indulge yourself to all kind of Wellness activities and rejuvenate both body and soul.
The island nation is home to some of the world’s most luxurious hotels, including Velaa Private Island, Joali Maldives, Cheval Blanc randheli , One&Only Reethi Rah, and Soneva Jani. Each of these resorts offers unparalleled comfort and indulgence, with top-notch spa, dining and wellness experiences. Whether you’re looking for a serene escape or a more active adventure, these hotels have something for everyone.
Bali, Indonesia: With its stunning scenery, rich Balinese culture, and luxurious spa and wellness experiences, Bali continues to be a popular destination.
Last November, I returned from Bali after attending the Further East trade show. During my stay, I had the opportunity to experience several high-end hotels, including Capella, Andaz Bali, Oberoi, and Alila. I look forward to crafting another post to share more information and insights about my experiences in hotels in Bali.
Tokyo & Kyoto, Japan: With its blend of traditional and modern cultures, offering a unique luxury travel experience, with high-end accommodations, Michelin-starred dining options, and unbeatable service. Such as Aman Tokyo, Four Seasons Tokyo at Otemachi, Park Hyatt Kyoto, Roku Kyoto LXR, Mitsui Kyoto Luxury Collection are in high demand. Also, these hotels are known for their lavish amenities, impeccable attention to detail, and unparalleled comfort, making them highly sought after by luxury travelers.
Santorini, Greece: It has always been on my travel bucket list, with its breathtaking scenery of white-washed villages that leave me in awe just thinking about it. Despite its reputation as a romantic cliché, world travelers still dream of it. I too, aspire to be a part of it, watching the sunset from Oia or exploring the volcanic beaches. The Andronis Arcadia, Grace Santorini, and Astra Suites are just a few examples of luxurious hotels in the area offering an unforgettable experience.
Bangkok, Thailand: A city rich in cultural and spiritual heritage, Bangkok offers a unique blend of traditional Thai culture and modern city life. Beyond its numerous Buddhist temples, travelers can explore Bangkok’s vibrant nightlife, including its famous sky bars, offering panoramic views of the city and signature cocktails. For a true cultural immersion, stay at luxury hotels such as the Mandarin Oriental, The Sukhothai, The Siam Hotel, Rosewood Bangkok, or Capella Bangkok. These hotels provide not only luxurious accommodations but also access to local experiences, such as authentic Thai dining and cultural activities, that showcase the richness of the Thai lifestyle.
Luxury Travel Activities Trends
Based on the 2023 Virtuoso Travel Trends, I have identified some of the travel experiences that are in high demand among Taiwanese travelers, including: space travel, a scenic river cruise with Belmond in France, a journey on the iconic Oriental Express, luxury yacht travel with The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, thrilling safari adventures, and a culinary travel experience with a private chef cooking course.
- Private Island Rentals
- Luxury Cruises
- Adventure Travel
- Eco-Luxury Trips
- Wellness Retreat
- Food and Wine Tours
Chinese Affluent Travel Trends
Top1: Sustainable Tourism
As environmental awareness continues to rise, Taiwan is embracing sustainable tourism by promoting eco-friendly activities and reducing its carbon footprint. This includes options like train travel and self-arranged cycling trips, as slower and greener travel gains popularity among travelers seeking to reduce emissions. The trend towards sustainability-focused travel is expected to continue growing in popularity among Taiwanese tourists.
2. Luxury Experiences: People are seeking luxury experiences after saving their travel funds for 2 years during the pandemic. They want unique, memorable experiences, including high-end accommodations, gourmet dining, and cultural activities.
3. Health and Wellness: It is becoming a priority for many Chinese travelers, and they are seeking destinations and experiences that promote physical and mental wellness, such as spa treatments, yoga and meditation retreats, and healthy dining options.
4. The Alternative Workplace Transformation: The shift to hybrid or remote work has significantly impacted travel planning and booking behaviors. Travelers are now seeking destinations that prioritize digital experiences, such as online check-in, Wi-fi availability, mobile payment options, and a unified mobile app for seamless travel planning and execution.
5. 『 Back to Basic 』 Travel style forming: people seem to desire for authentic, immersive experiences that allow us to connect with nature and culture in new and meaningful ways. And also Adventure and Exploration travelers are seeking new and exciting experiences that challenge them, such as outdoor adventures, such as hiking, rafting, and bungee jumping, and cultural exploration in remote areas.
6. Cultural Immersion: Travelers are looking to immerse themselves in local cultures, seeking authentic experiences that give them a deeper understanding and appreciation of the local way of life. such as cooking classes or tea ceremonies, and visiting local farmers’ markets and festivals.
It’s important to note that the travel industry is constantly evolving but may still be impacted by COVID-19 restrictions.
While it took me some time to create this content, I hope this information provides a helpful starting point for your 2023 travel planning and inspires you to embark on exciting new adventures soon
Have a great trip! 🙂
*** Reference resources : American Express/ Booking.com / Taiwan Tourism Bureau/ Forbes / Virtuoso/